The Student Site of Castilleja School

Counterpoint

The Student Site of Castilleja School

Counterpoint

The Student Site of Castilleja School

Counterpoint

Spirit Week Day 1: Jerseys, Camo and Shower Caps

Thea Louise Dai
Sophomores wear “Trader Joe’s” Hawaiian shirts (From left to right: Jiwoo Oh, Aria Feitelberg, Juliet Schmeltzer, Rianne Sok, Fiona Wiley).

Castilleja kicked off Spirit Week Monday with the theme “Joes.” Across campus, Upper School students and faculty demonstrated their spirit in a donut eating contest, relay races and, of course, their creative outfits.

Freshmen: Football Joes

Miller poses in with her jersey in front of the pool patio. (Thea Louise Dai)

Michaela Miller ‘27 nailed the theme by wearing a Joe Montana jersey, accessorized with mushroom earrings and red hair clips. She said she borrowed the jersey from her dad’s closet, confessing that “on the Super Bowl, we only watch the commercials.”

Sophomores: Trader Joe’s

Sophomores wear “Trader Joe’s” Hawaiian shirts (From left to right: Jiwoo Oh, Aria Feitelberg, Juliet Schmeltzer, Rianne Sok, Fiona Wiley). (Thea Louise Dai)

While many sophomores donned Hawaiian shirts to fit the “Trader Joe’s” theme, what set Rianne Sok ‘26 and her friends apart was their attention to detail. Sok bought name tags for her friends, who all “wrote our names in the Trader Joe’s font as well as the Trader Joe’s logo,” she said.

Juniors: Average Joes

Juniors photographed in their respective outfits (From left to right: Reagan Raphael, Claire Sun, Camryn Nuckles). (Thea Louise Dai)

Juniors Reagan Raphael ‘25, Claire Sun ‘25 and relay race winner Camryn Nuckles ‘25 showed up in basketball shorts and baseball caps. For Raphael, inspiration struck close to home: “I stole everything from my brother’s closet,” she said.

Seniors: G.I. Joe

Neuner (left) and Foster (right) show off their authentic apparel. (Thea Louise Dai)

Avery Neuner ‘24 and Emma Foster ‘24 both found authentic pieces for the “G.I. Joe” theme. Neuner borrowed her dad’s flight jacket from the U.S. Navy, which was adorned with her dad’s squadron, air wing, title and award patches, while Foster wore U.S. Air Force issued airman battle uniform pants from their involvement in the Civil Air Patrol.

Faculty: Joe Mama

Ms. Surface stands with her cane on the Circle. (Thea Louise Dai)

Director of Sports Performance and Head Athletic Trainer Jessie Surface drew crowds when she revealed her “Joe Mama” outfit at break, which was complete with a cane and shower cap. Surface said the outfit stays true to one of her favorite phrases: “Comfort is key.”

Tuesday’s theme offers each grade two choices for outfits, but students may have a hard time topping Monday’s costumes. In the encouraging words of Ms. Surface, “Go, Granny, Go!”