The Student Site of Castilleja School

Counterpoint

The Student Site of Castilleja School

Counterpoint

The Student Site of Castilleja School

Counterpoint

Committed Gators: Emma Foster

Caitlyn Lee
Emma Foster ’24 is committed to play softball at Howard University.

Lights shining. Fans cheering. “I’M THAT GIRL” blasting.

Queen B? No.

Queen E. Emma Foster.

The Beyoncé superfan and softball star signed with Howard University, preparing to play for the Bisons starting in the fall of 2024.

Foster said their love for softball originated at the young age of six (think around the time that “Run the World (Girls)” was released), playing for a neighborhood T-ball team.

Fast forward a decade later, and we are graced with the presence of a Division 1 commit, West Bay Athletic League first-team player and Castilleja Most Valuable Player.

While it is very easy for the rest of us to go around bragging about Foster’s remarkable accolades, getting to the level of collegiate softball is no easy feat.

Besides the relentless hours of practice and tournaments, the recruiting process was especially difficult for Foster, as they were mainly looking at academically rigorous schools in the East Coast, causing an abundance of travel and missed school. And everyone knows that missing a day of school at Castilleja is quite the sacrifice.

It was at times hard for Foster, seeing peers around them already signed. “You see people around you signing, and I mean, you know that your process is going to take longer because of this thing you’re looking for, but it’s definitely fear of missing out,” Foster said.

The only fear we are experiencing is fear of missing out on the secret to Foster’s success. Exactly how does one get to the Emma Foster level?

Time management: “My Google Calendar is stacked. I have all my weeks scheduled,” Foster said. They also said they heard from teammates that time management will continue to be crucial in college.

For now, though, Foster is enjoying a semi-empty Google Calendar and reveling in the relief of being signed during the typical college application process. Nonetheless, they remember what it took to be in their current position.

“I see my friends going through the college process,” Foster said. “It’s like, ‘Oh, that looks really stressful.’ But on the other hand, I’ve been traveling for recruiting camps and sending emails to coaches and having tough conversations basically starting my freshman year, so I think it’s definitely similar levels of work. I don’t think I took the easy way out at all.”

Looking ahead, Foster is incredibly excited for their future, becoming part of “a really strong community” and Howard’s legacy as a historically Black college.

Enough of the future, though, because we still have one more season this spring to catch Queen E performing at home on Spieker Field.

Foster spoke fondly of the Castilleja softball team, noting how the spirit of the team is “like no other” and how Castilleja softball gives them a different experience.

“Outside of Castilleja softball,” Foster said, “I don’t lose a lot.”

This year could be different. Because with Queen E, anything is possible.